Coity, Litchard and Pendre History and Information

Coity Higher Community Council  is made up of the 3 wards of Coity, Litchard and Pendre in the Bridgend County Borough.  The area is south of the M4 junction 36.  It is represented by 3 county borough councillors and 11 community councillors.   A ward map is shown here

The ward of Coity includes Coity Village, most of the Parc Derwen development, the Parc y Fferm, Gerddi’r Castell and Trem y Castell developments and Brackla/Litchard Industrial Estate.    Coity Village is notable for being home to Coity Castle, one of the best preserved castles in the area and other buildings of note include the 14th century church of St Mary and Ty Mawr a fine 16th century house.  The ward also includes HM Parc Prison and is mainly rural land which includes some Coity Anglia and Coity Wallia common land.  The ward has one school, Coety Primary School which is located on the Parc Derwen development.  The ward is represented by 1 county borough councillor, Amanda Williams.

The ward of Litchard is mainly housing and some of the houses on the Parc Derwen development sit in this ward.  The ward has one school, Litchard Primary School.  The ward includes some Coity Anglia common land and stretches up to the M4 boundary encompassing a Sainsburys supermarket.  The ward is represented by 1 county borough councillor, Sadie Vidal.

The ward of Pendre includes the new development of Oak Field, as well as the Princess of Wales Hospital.   The ward is represented by 1 county borough councillor, Richard Young.

Within the 3 wards there are many play areas and recreational areas at Great Western Avenue, Pendre, Litchard Playing Fields and a 4g synthetic sports  facility at Coety Primary School, Parc Derwen, Coity, and many rights of way footpaths to enjoy.

The population of Coity Higher was 6,078 at the 2011 census but has grown considerably since that time.

There are 6 scheduled monuments in the Coity Higher area, they are:

  • Coity Burial Chamber – a Chambered tomb, (Location: 51.5262°N 3.5482°W SS926819.) ruins of a Neolithic chambered tomb, with four large stone slabs
  • Pant-y-Pyllau Enclosure – a Prehistoric Earthwork. (Location: 51.5306°N 3.5478°W SS927824). A banked enclosure with external ditches. Parts have been destroyed by farm buildings and tracks.
  • Coity Castle – A property in the care of Cadw (Location: 51.5221°N 3.5534°W, SS923814). A circular castle with 3-storey keep. It had fallen into ruin by the 18th century.
  • Derwen Moated Site – (Location: 51.5304°N 3.5666°W SS914824). A medieval moat, possibly in the former parkland of Coity Castle, with no visible trace of habitation
  • Angleton Iron Works – an industrial monument (Location: 51.5263°N 3.5809°W SS904820). Built by Robert Sydney in 1589, it was the only pre-1700 ironworks in Glamorgan. Sandstone slabs are the standing remains, part buried by the railway embankment.
  • Cefn Hirgoed Rabbit Warren – (Location: 51.534°N 3.5642°W, SS916828), on the boundary with St Bride’s Minor community, the three pillow mounds are from a medieval warren built to house rabbits. They are now alongside the M4, near Sarn Park Services